As you enjoy vacations and travel, you likely aren’t thinking about bugs. Unfortunately, there are a number of pesky insects that can cause problems for you in the moment and in the future. Forming good habits while travelling can help you to avoid pest problems.
There are a few types of pests that are particularly important to watch out for when travelling, either because they can cause you to get sick or because they can infest your things and return home with you. Let’s take a look at these pests and how to avoid problems with them.
Mosquitoes are the most deadly insect in the world. They spread many dangerous diseases that kill millions of people every year, including malaria, dengue fever, Ross River virus, and many more. If you live in a warm, tropical climate where mosquitoes are a constant problem, you may have already developed good habits when it comes to avoiding them, but sometimes travelers find themselves in different climates or seasons and aren’t expecting mosquitoes. Planning ahead is important so that you have the proper clothing and sprays. To prevent mosquitoes:
- Avoid being out at dawn and dusk when they are most active
- Use an approved mosquito repellent, especially one that contains DEET or picaridin
- Wear loose, light colored clothing that covers your arms and legs
Bed bugs are notorious for spreading as a result of travel. They are known as the hitchhikers of the animal world and can easily enter your suitcases or clothing and form a new infestation in your home. Bed bugs can be extremely expensive and difficult to get rid of and can unfairly cause a social stigma. Take these steps to avoid bed bugs when travelling:
- Check hotel rooms carefully before settling in. Check the mattresses, bedding, and furniture for live bugs or feces in the form of small black dots
- Keep your luggage off the bed and floor and instead use a luggage stand
- After returning home from vacation, immediately wash all of your clothing. Hot water and the heat from the dryer will kill any trespassers.
Much like bed bugs, cockroaches can sometimes find their way home with you. Roaches like dark, warm, undisturbed areas, so boxes, luggage, and packages can all be potential hiding places. They are also attracted to food and will eat almost anything including toiletries, food crumbs, hair, and more. Prevent cockroaches by:
- Storing food properly
- Keeping luggage and packages off the floor
- Thoroughly checking all of your belongings when you arrive home
- Washing all clothing in warm water and drying them upon return
Sunshine Coast Pest Control
With these tips, you can help prevent pests when you are travelling, but nothing is a guarantee. If you find yourself with a pest problem, help is available. Radar Pest Control is professional, friendly, and fast. We serve the great people in Buderim, Nambour, Bli Bli, and surrounding areas. For Sunshine Coast pest control, you can trust Radar to get the job done right.