By now, you have probably heard that Australia is experiencing a La Niña weather pattern this year. La Niña is a natural cycle that occurs as part of the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO). This change in ocean currents causes increased rain across much of Australia. La Niña can affect many things, including pest control.
What are the typical results associated with La Niña?
During La Niña, trade winds from the east increase and blow warm ocean water to the northeast coast of Australia and countries north of us. This warmer water creates greater evaporation, which leads to a number of changes. Characteristics of La Niña in our area include:
- Increased rainfall
- Cooler daytime temperatures (south)
- Warmer overnight temperatures (north)
- A shift in temperature extremes
- An increased number of cyclones
How does La Niña affect pest control?
People, plants, and animals are all impacted by La Niña. Pests, like mosquitoes, that thrive in wet, humid conditions are likely to see huge increases in their population. Mosquitoes require stagnant water in order to breed. The more rain and moisture there is during a particular year, the more chances they will have to produce offspring.
An increase in the mosquito population will not only cause more annoyance among residents and tourists, but it can also be dangerous because of the diseases that they spread. Mosquitoes are the most deadly animals on the earth because of their ability to spread dangerous diseases like malaria, dengue fever, Ross River Virus, and Barmah Forest Virus. This means that mosquito control and prevention will be even more important than ever this year.
Sunshine Coast Mosquito Control
Do your part to control mosquitoes around your property. These tips will help to keep them at bay.
- Immediately empty any container that fills up with water during a rainstorm
- Turn over pots, toys, buckets, etc. to avoid stagnant water
- Remove debris from your yard
- Use an aerator in ponds
- Have your yard treated for mosquitoes by a Sunshine Coast Pest Control company
- Whenever you are outside, make sure you take the appropriate precautions to prevent mosquito bites