Flies are a problem for people all along the Sunshine Coast and throughout the world. They spread germs and diseases, contaminate food, and are nuisance pests. While the typical female fly only lives around 30 days, in that time she can lay 400-600 eggs! This means that fly control is not only important, but it can become downright necessary. So, what attracts flies, and what are some solutions to get rid of them?
What Attracts Flies?
Common fly species that cause problems for homeowners are house flies, fruit flies, drain flies, and blow flies. These species are attracted to food odors, especially fermenting or decaying sugars, fats, carbs, and proteins. They are also attracted to good breeding areas and will seek them out. By identifying what attracts each species, you can better understand how to prevent them.
House Flies are attracted by food odors of all kinds, which makes them a seemingly constant pest in homes. They breed in rotting food, animal feces, and other decomposing waste products.
Fruit Flies are especially attracted by fermenting sugars and sugary liquids. As the name suggests, they are often found around rotting fruits and vegetables where they breed, but they are also attracted to garbages, drains, drink bottles, and spills.
Drain flies like organic waste that builds up around drains. These rotting foods and biofilms are ideal locations for them to lay eggs. They are also attracted to sewage, compost, and septic tanks.
Blow flies prefer to live and breed in rotting meat. Kitchen food waste can attract them, but they will also find their way toward dead animals like rodents and birds.
Prevention and Control Methods
Now that you know what attracts flies, you can better prevent them. Effective fly control involves changes in habits, exclusion efforts, and chemical methods. Here are some of the best ways to get rid of flies:
- Keep food covered to avoid contamination
- Store food in the refrigerator or in sealed containers
- Clean your kitchen and home frequently
- Wipe up spills immediately
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink
- Vacuum or sweep up crumbs
- Take out the rubbish daily
- Make sure rubbish bins have tight fitting lids
- Dispose of over-ripe or rotting food immediately
- Make sure all windows have screens
- Do not leave doors or windows open
- Ensure there is weather stripping around entry points
- Declutter your yard and home
- Keep lawn, shrubs, and bushes neatly trimmed
- Avoid excess moisture by fixing leaky faucets and pipes
- Clean gutters and downspouts
- Use fly baits or electric fly killers
- Hire a professional to help with monitoring and elimination
Radar Pest Control can help you control the fly population around your home. Our expert technicians will inspect the property, identify the problem pests, and come up with a comprehensive plan to get rid of the flies now and prevent them in the future. For pest control in Buderim or pest control in Nambour, Radar Pest Control is your best bet!